Thursday, July 1, 2010

Braton's Clam Chowder

2 6.5oz cans minced clams (or fresh clams) (I add extra clams)


1 cup minced onion

1 cup finely chopped celery

2 cups finely chopped potatoes


White Sauce:

3/4 cup butter

3/4 cup flour

1 quart half & half

1 1/2 tsp salt

Pepper to taste

1/2 tsp sugar (I omit sugar)


Drain juice from clams and pour over vegetables in saucepan. Add enough water to barely cover

and simmer til tender (I add a bottle of purchased clam juice and then water if needed).

Make white sauce and add to vegetables. Add clams.



The chowder becomes really thick when it is cool. When you reheat you may need to add

a little milk to thin a little but do not add the milk too soon. The chowder will thin as it heats up.

If you add the milk before it is heated you will have soup instead of chowder.

Recipe by Valerie Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment